Upcoming Event

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Pjschard Cult of Slaanesh Dark Elves

I'm entering into the fray with Dark Elves 
                Cult of Slaanesh fell into place when I went through my bitz box and found 10 (!) different elf sorceresses from 8 manufacturers unfinished.  My original idea was to use them all and just have a coven of sorceresses. However, I quickly abandoned that idea after attempting to figure out WYSIWYG for the figures, and realizing my opponents would spend the entire game just trying to remember which figure had which rules.  Having so many different manufacturers meant that stylistically the Regiment looked like crap, so I sadly started winnowing out my extra minis.  
                  I knew that I wanted Morathi in the list, and I had an unfinished Morathi on foot conversion in my bitz box, so my other sorceresses would have to look similar.  Begrudgingly, I dismissed my Reaper sorceress (a beautiful Werner Klocke sculpt, but far too chunky.)  Then, I decided against a nice conversion I had planned for a Confrontation Sorcerer (way too tall.) The Fenryll harpy got the boot after (way too small,) and the Ginfritter's Dark Elf Pirate Queen fell along the wayside as well (way too pirate-y.)  The  next to go was the Warplock Monkey Wood Elf Sorceress I have.  (I love the sculpt but didn't like the idea of chopping bits off to match my theme.)  I eliminated the cold one sorceress by GW due to my display board idea, and to the fact that the sculpt had too much forward momentum to fit in with the other minis.
                This left me with a nice small force, a Dark Age mini with a blade for a hand fit the lithe graceful feel of Morathi very well, and the Mantic mini was a little small, but a very nice match.  The Avatars of War sorceress with the reptile scale skirt would help tie in my conversion idea for my core, and fit perfectly stylistically.  Last I had a plastic GW Dark Elf Sorceress.  This is the second one I have bought, and I just couldn't resist the opportunity to paint her again.   
                 The Morathi miniature GW makes comes on a Dark Pegasus, so no set of standing legs.  I fixed this with a set of corsair boots, and matched this with corsair gloves to replace the hands I had used for other conversions in the past.  This left me with the problem of core.  I had none.
                I had originally thought about including a unit of witch elves in my dark elf army, but didn't like the look of the GW ones, so way back when I had done a test conversion with a plastic daemonette using the same method as Morathi.  I really liked it, but didn't fancy converting up 20 more.  Five more seemed like a good choice and they were perfect for my theme, so I happily set about chopping and converting.  The Core are all set then.

Here's my list
5 Corsairs
5 Witch Elves (Chosen of Slaanesh)

I like Domus's idea of listing goals so here are mine.
Consistency
I want the models to look consistent despite the different manufacturers.
I want the basing to be at an equally high standard as the paint.
I want to sculpt a display base for this project.
I want a display piece out of this project.
I want all ten models to tell a story as a whole and as individual models.
I want all ten models exhibit a very high level of painting
specifically:
use of color
blending


I will be updating the blog, but there are already a few (albeit blurry) pictures in my twitter feed.  (Pjschard)

til next time..... 




No comments:

Post a Comment