Upcoming Event

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Hump Day Heroes: 40K Kill Team League



This battle report was from my first game for the 40k Kill Team league that I am running at the Wandering Dragon.  My opponent for the game was Doug and his very cool space marine team.  The mission for the game was Forward Push from the Kill Team supplement.  For this mission, I had modified the objective rules so that each player placed one and the third was at the center of the board.

As you can see from the pictures, we set-up the board using a large number of LOS blocking terrain pieces.  I am a firm believer that Kill Teams is best when there is a lot of terrain on the board as it encourages movement and prevents static gunlines.  When it came to deployment, I won the roll, so deployed my forces across the board with a few models held back to infiltrate.

Genestealer Brood
10 Genestealers – 140 points
1 Broodlord – 60 points

Doug’s Space Marines
10 Tactical Squad w/ Heavy Bolter & Flamer
1 Attack Bike w/ multi-melta

I was not expecting Doug to seize, so when he did, I knew I was in trouble.  His attack bike and heavy bolter made quick work of my broodlord and one of his companion stealers.  In response, I tried to assault the bike with the remaining stealers nearby, but failed to wound it and in return got a stealer killed for the attempt.



In the second round, I moved the other larger group of stealers towards the center objective.  My hope was I could break off one or two models from the pack to deal with marines as needed.  Doug had range with his outflanking marines, so bolter fire quickly diminished the pack down to a couple of models. 

In the late turns, I tried to hide what I had remaining near two of the objectives, but the marines closed ranks.  In short order the last of my brood was killed at range with the exception of one stealer who got past a marine with a flamer before being brought down by a shot to the head. 

Overall it was a fun game that taught me a couple of good lessons about how to deploy my team going forward.  I should have kept all of them close together and just chained my assaults.  By spreading out, Doug was able to easily pick-off individual models before they could make it to assault.  I do debate whether or not I should include some type of shooting element to the list, but figure that would break from the narrative I am forging.

No comments:

Post a Comment