Upcoming Event

Monday, June 17, 2013

Rise of Legends - The Heart of Avarice

It is the nature of all creatures to crave something upon entering the world. For most things, this craving doesn’t extend past acquiring just enough to survive each day. The very basics of life the only real objects of desire. However, as a creature becomes more self aware, its desires grow stronger and broader. These desires can take hold of a creature’s spirit, infusing it with a constant need to meet them by what ever means possible. When a creature reaches this state, it is said to be filled with the orange light of avarice.

Like the winds of magic, the illuminations of the emotional spectrum can be harnessed by those that have been touched by them in an intimate fashion. Such a wielder of emotions can produce effects that are a keen to magic. These abilities can make the user a formidable opponent, but such power comes with a cost.



If you have listened to episode 19 of the show, you likely heard us talk about starting a Regiments of Renown (RoR) campaign that we are calling The Rise of Legends. Ignoring the clichéd name, the purpose of this campaign was to get a group of local Warhammer fanatics together to flex our creative juices and challenge ourselves in a new way. We also thought this would be a fun way for each of us to share our experience with the format while still giving each individual the flexibility to participate in a fashion that their schedule allows.

One of the things that has worked out nicely with the campaign is that each of the eight participants has selected a different army book, so we will not see any duplicates from a gameplay perspective. When it came to making my selection, I went through a lengthy process of writing down each army book and capturing some pros and cons for using that particular book in the campaign. As I mentioned on the podcast, some of the books, like Dark Elves and Skaven, were easily removed from the list. However, there were still enough choices that settling on a single book took some time and soul searching. In the end, I decided to go with the Beastmen book as I wanted to explore a particular theme.

With the book selected, I have been pondering how to create the theme I am interested in exploring. The inspiration for the theme is the character Larfleeze from the Green Lantern comic books. In the comics, Larfleeze is a bestial looking character who harnesses the power of avarice (i.e. greed) in a fashion that is similar to how a green lantern uses willpower. Considering the selfish motivations of the Beastmen and my interest in playing with the color orange, I thought it would be a good inspiration for a project.

Since recording episode 19, I have hit a bit of a creative snag when it comes to my army list for the project. Originally I wanted to do a single centigor that is hunting with a pack of warhounds. Since discussing that idea on the show, I am realizing that the list doesn’t offer me enough in terms of conversation opportunities. I feel like I need to inject gors/ungors in the list as they will allow for some better conversions and tactical options. I would also like to play with a broader range of models to determine what I really like if I wish to expand the list into something bigger after the campaign.


Next Time: Prior Experiments with Greed

No comments:

Post a Comment