Upcoming Event

Friday, February 7, 2014

On the Bench: Citadel Technical: Blood for the Blood God Review

As part of the process of preparing for AGoM, I had to complete a couple more ogre bulls to add to my existing unit. One of the new bulls was going to be armed with an ironfist similar to another model in the unit and since I wanted to keep uniformity across the unit, I decided to paint it with a blood splatter like the other one. The original model was painted using a series of Vallejo reds, gloss varnish, and a good helping of glaze medium and thinner. For the new model, I decided to test out the new Citadel Technical: Blood for the Blood God paint.

One of the things about the new paint is that it is advertised as “It's a translucent paint, similar to a wash, but thicker and with vivid colour”. Opening the pot, I have to agree with the word “thick”, as the paint had a consistency that was more similar to a regular paint than any wash I have purchased. I also agree that it had a deep crimson color, but at first glance, I wasn’t confident that it would result in the range of colors that I was hoping to imitate.


When it came to apply the paint, I decided to not thin it like I usually do with paints. Instead, I poured a little in my palette and applied the first layer using a 0/2 liner brush. I gave the paint a few minutes to dry before applying another layer that was “inside” the first layer. I repeated this process a few times until I had enough coverage that I expected the anticipated effect to be achieved.

As you can see from the end results, the effect was fair, but certainly didn’t produce results that were outstanding. I think the paint can be useful for someone that is looking for something simple and quick, but it will not replace taking the time and effort to paint blood using a more “artistic” approach. I would have liked to have seen GW also provide a little free guidance on how the paint should be used as I am curious if the effect would have been better with a little bit of thinning. Maybe after AGoM, I will give it another try and see if the results are different.

Correction: GW does provide a little tutorial video on how to use the paint.  After AGoM, I will give the paint a try after watching the video and see if I can get better results.

5 comments:

  1. check out youtube. They have a video on each of the technical paints...how much to use, prep, etc. I found it VERY useful, especially for the rust effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Found the video after I finished trying out the paint and writing the article. I intend to give it another go after AGoM as I am curious if I can get better results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found that they are really starting to lean on youtube for showing tips and other information vs posting an article on the GW site or even putting the info in WD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do show a splatter technique and a swipping technique to give it a little variety

    ReplyDelete