Upcoming Event

Monday, February 17, 2014

On the Bench: Ogre Firebelly



With all of the excitement around AGoM, I am finding it really hard to actually sit down and write-up anything I am working on at the moment.  I guess the positive is that I am getting stuff done and should have a reasonably finished army when I step off the plane next week. 



When it came to creating my firebelly/butcher, I was inspired by the Oni from Japanese folklore.  According to Wikipedia:

Oni (?) are a kind of yōkai from Japanese folklore, variously translated as demons, devils, ogres or trolls.

Depictions of oni vary widely but usually portray them as hideous, gigantic ogre-like creatures with sharp claws, wild hair, and two long horns growing from their heads.[2] They are humanoid for the most part, but occasionally, they are shown with unnatural features such as odd numbers of eyes or extra fingers and toes.[3] Their skin may be any number of colors, but red and blue are particularly common

Looking at various depictions of them, I felt that the horns were the primary element that I had to include on my model if I wished to allude to the folklore.  I also felt that by giving him long hair in a ponytail, it would also provide similar visual cues to a traditional Oni.  I did toy around with the idea of painting the model in darkflesh and adding red highlights to it, but I felt that it would clash too much with the color scheme of the army to be worth the effort.






No comments:

Post a Comment